Servings Size 2
All-Purpose flour (7 Cups)
Refind Oil/Vegetable Shortening (1 Cup)
Salt (1 Tbsp)
Water (400 ml)
Potato (4-6 Large, Boiled & Mashed)
Peas (1 1/2 Cups, Boiled)
Green Chillies (7-8, Finely Chopped)
Ginger (2 1/2 Tbsp, Minced)
Coriander Leaves (1 Cup)
Oil (2 Tbsp)
Turmeric Powder (1/2 Tbsp)
Red Chilli Powder (1/2 Tbsp)
Coriander Powder (2 Tbsp)
Amchoor Powder (1 Tbsp)
Salt (To Taste)
Oil for Frying
- Start by making the dough or the crust for the Khasta Kachori. Put all the dry ingredients in the Food Processor and start pulsing.
- Add Refind oil/ Vegetable shortening and pulse 5 times, so that it is mixed with the dry ingredients.
- Now start adding water slowly from the feed tube and make a hard dough. The harder the dough will be, the crispier the Khasta will become.
- Take out and keep aside for 30-45 mins, covered with a plastic wrap or a wet cloth. If needed, smooth the dough with hands.
- For potato filling: In a large bowl mix mashed potatoes, boiled peas, coriander leaves, ginger and green chillies. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add all the spices accept Amchoor powder and fry them for about 1/2 minute.
- Now add the potato mixture prepared before to the spices and sprinkle Amchoor powder over it. Mix well and let it cool for a while.
- Take a small portion of dough and roll it in the shape of a circle. Put a little bit of potato filling in the middle of it, as shown in the picture below.
- Roll it into the shape of Khasta Kachori, as shown below.
- Heat oil for frying in a pan and deep fry them until they are golden brown on a medium low flame.
- Serve hot with Coriander Chutney/ Tamarind Chutney.
Tips: You can freeze them after very lightly frying them. Keep them on a baking sheet and put them in the freezer overnight. Transfer them into a ziplock bag and freeze them again. Whenever want to serve them, keep them out for 6-8 hours and than fry them in heated oil until they are done. They will taste as fresh as ever.
To make it more crispy and a little more healthy, substitute 2 cups of flour with 2 cups of Semolina/ Rava.
You can also add some dry fruits like cashews and golden raisins to potato filling, to make it more attractive for special occasion.