Sunday, January 28, 2007

Kuch Jhatpat ho jaye...

On weekends we wake up late and then instead of having breakfast or lunch, we tend to have 'Brunch'. I know you got it, the recipe that I am presenting today is fairly simple brunch dish, which is very satisfying and can be made in number of ways. In India, generally people make it sweet with milk, sugar and dry fruits, but today we will be cooking a savory version of it. It is called Veggie Seviyan (Vermicelli). Seviyan or Vermicelli (we call them "JAVE" at home) is made up of all-purpose flour. In Indian homes, elderly women (in general) make these by hand on a piece of paper and dry them in sun for a while. Nothing like the hand-made one, you can easily make out the difference in taste and texture. Now-a-days, we get these pre-made by machines in grocery stores, but one has to roast them without oil on a gas stove or in the microwave, before using them. I do roast mine in the microwave. Back in India, at my home we have a solar cooker which is the best way to roast them without any effort. Just pour them in the solar cooker containers and forget about them. In the evening they will be ready to use, if the sun is at its best. :) So lets get cooking something colorful and delicious, anytime of the day. It also happens to be one of my hubby's all-time favourite dishes...

Serves 2

Ingredients:
Seviyan/Vermicelli (1.5 Cups, Roasted)
Yellow Bell-Pepper (1/2, Finely Chopped)
Green Peas (1/4 Cup, boiled)
Cauliflower (1/2 Cup, Par-boiled) optional
Red Onion (1, Chopped)
Tomato (2, Finely Chopped)
Green Chillies (2, Finely Chopped)
Green Onion (3, Finely Chopped, for garnish)
Black Mustard Seeds (1 Tsp)
Turmeric Powder (1 Tsp)
Red Chili Powder (To Taste)
Garam Masala (1/2 Tsp)
Salt (To Taste)
Curry Leaves (5-6)
Oil (1.5 Tbsp)
Water (3 Cups)
Method:
  1. Boil Seviyan with salt and 3 cups of water in a separate pan.
  2. In another pan, heat oil and put mustard seeds and let them crackle or wait till the time they become gray in color.
  3. Now add onion, bell-pepper and curry leaves, fry until transparent. Then add all the other spices and fry for 30 seconds more.
  4. Now add green peas and cauliflower along with Seviyan and mix well.
  5. Serve hot garnished with Green Onions.

Tips:

  1. Use Chinese technique (they use it for noodles) of putting the seviyan in cold water as soon as they are boiled for 3-4 minutes and then straining them. They will stop cooking immediately and it will prevent them from sticking to each other.
  2. Use Ajwayan and corriander powder (1 tbsp) instead of mustard seeds and curry leaves for giving it a North Indian flavor.

Also check out something here...

21 comments:

Unknown said...

we usually have brunch on weekends as we get up at a very odd time;)thnx for sharing!!!

FH said...

Can't see the photo but sounds delicious!:))Jhatpat is always great.

Anonymous said...

Lovely looking dish!!!!! Its one of my favourites too!!! I sometimes add roasted peanuts to it. Gives a nice crunsh when you eat it. :)

indosungod said...

Nidhi, ofcourse a great brunch dish. I cook this dish too but using a slightly different method, add the Vermicelli to water and cook it in the pot with the veggies, like upma.

Seema Bhat said...

Nidhi, Beautiful picture and I make this for brunch too very ofent. Jhatpat name is perfect for this

Bong Mom said...

heeyyyy we make this too...
Looks delicious

Sia said...

thats my fav brunch item nidhi:)

TNL said...

Hi Nidhi...kaisi ho? I have been meaning to make this, I have a big bag of vermicelli waiting in the pantry.....yours looks so fluffy,and each vermicelli is separate...I'll give it a try since it seems to be so popular! Take care.

Hugs,Trupti

Prema Sundar said...

Hi Nidhi ,
seviyan is mouthwatering.. i too do this like upma as indo said. I love to have this hot on a rainy day evening..

Menu Today said...

Hi Nidhi,
We south Indian Call this dish as "semiya Kichadi". Like ISG, Prema, I too cook directly in boiling water. Superb pic. Thanks for sharing.

Mishmash ! said...

Nidhi, thats a very colourful dish. I have been preparing its south indian version, Semiya Upma as we call it, but next time I will try urs.Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Shn

swapna susarla said...

hi nidhi
i also do the same but don't add the veggies will try out this time..
watched "something"
great nidhi..congrats again..:-))keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Very nice recipe. I too make quick upma out of vermicilli, especially on hectic week nights.

Unknown said...

Looks delicious..perfect brunch...

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hey Nidhi,
This looks so nice very good presentation.I also prepare this but add a bit og coconut grates to it.This looks great dear

Nidhi said...

Thanks Haripriya, Asha, Coffee, Indu, Seema, Sandeepa, Sia, Trupti, Prema, MT, Mishmash, Swapna, Nalini, Maheshwari, Soumya.....

Good to know that you all liked my recipe and you all also make it in the same way or the other.

Keep visiting for more!

Thanks once again, Nidhi.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nidhi... I make this dish often for brunch and follow my mom's recipe which is almost the same as yours except that she uses ajwain - the typical north indian seviyan. My husband loves it - and now he actually knows the difference in semiya bath and namkeen seviyan :)

Cheers,
Sonia

Sri said...

Colorful dish ...good pic too, will try it.

J said...

Hi Nidhi,
Nice recipe, very wholesome with so many veggies going into it. I make this version when hubby is travelling and my tummy's growling- I hate to cook for myself!! Otherwise I stick to the south indian version we call semiya upma. Cheers!:)

Unknown said...

Hey Nidhi! I no longer have ur e-mail address. could u contact me?
hchatterjee

Unknown said...

Hi Nidhi,
This is me, Simran.
I have been looking for u on orkut,facebook and so other social sites but couldn't find u anywhere.Hence contacting u thru this column.
Contact me wherever u r.