In my family Palak Ka Saag aur Makka ki roti is a regular feature. I learned it from my mom, love the taste and texture of it. She makes it in the most traditional way, as my grand-father's mom used to make, she says. No need to deep fry the paneer, increasing it nutritional value as well and the ingredients used are the most basic ones that everyone have at home like Wheat Flour, Moong Dal, Butter Milk etc. So lets start cooking and fill our kitchens with the aroma of the past.......
Makes 4-6 Servings
Serving size 4 Tbsp
Palak (1 Kg)
Paneer (200 Gms, Cut into small cubes)
Moong Dal (50 Gms, Washed & Pre-Soaked)
Butter Milk (1.5 Cups)
Wheat Flour (1/2 Cup)
Onion (2 Roughly Chopped)
Tomato (4 Pureed & Strained)
Ginger (3 Tbsp, Chopped)
Garlic (6-8 Cloves, Peeled)
Oil (1.5 Tbsp)
Cumin Seeds (1.5 Tsp)
Turmeric (1 Tsp)
Red Chilli Powder (1 Tsp)
Corriander Powder (2 Tsp)
Salt (To Taste)
Ghee (1 Tbsp)
Red Chilli Powder (1/4 Tsp)
Hing (a Pinch)
Dried Red Chillies (2, Whole)
- Wash Spinach and chop roughly. Then, boil it with moong Dal, a little water and salt in a pressure cooker. After one whistle, turn off the stove and let the steam release itself. Now coarsely puree the spinach in a blender, by pulsing it 3-4 times. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan. Make a paste of onion, ginger and garlic and start sauting in the heated oil. While onion paste is getting golden brown, make a paste of Butter-milk and Wheat flour and keep aside.
- Now put all the spices in the onion paste and saute for a minute. then pour the tomato gravy and again fry for 1 minute.
- Now put the coarsely blended spinach in the pan and mix well.
- Then after about 3 minutes of stirring, pour the butter-milk paste in the pan and let it come to a boil while stirring constantly.
- Now simmer the gas stove and let it cook for 1 to 1.5 hrs.
- When its done prepare the garnish or tadka in a very small pan. First heat Ghee and then add cumin seeds, dried red chillies, hing and red chilli powder. Fry for 30 seconds or so.
- Place paneer in the serving dish, pour prepared spinach over it and serve piping hot garnished with hing infused ghee and Makka ki roti.
Tip: If you are very health concious, then don't put tadka made with ghee.